Canning Peppers

My pepper plants are overflowing. How about yours? I never seem to have problems with peppers, they grow in abundance in my garden. I am very thankful for that. However, with me being the only one in my house who eats them, I have to do some quick thinking on what to do with them once they are ready to be picked. For the last 2 years I have banana peppers and Hungarian wax peppers. I grew the wax peppers specifically to make hot pepper butter. I will post about that sometime this week. But let me just tell you, it is delicious! Last year I canned so much that I really didn’t need to can more this year. But for some reason I still planted them. So now to figure out what to do with them. If all else fails, can pepper rings for sandwiches, pizza, or salads.

This was very easy. I ended up with 8 pints of peppers.

• 4 cups of water
  • 4 cups of white vinegar
  • 1 cup sugar
  • pinch of turmeric (mainly for color, optional)
  • 4 cloves of garlic cut in half (you can also use a whole clove. just depends on how much you like garlic)
  • pickling salt-1 tsp for each pint ( I used sea salt because I didn’t have pickling salt)
  • olive oil-1 tsp for each pint

Heat the water, vinegar, sugar, and turmeric till boiling. In the meantime sterilize jars and add 1/2 garlic clove to each pint. Pack jars with pepper rings. Top with salt and olive oil.  Then add vinegar mixture to 1/4th inch of top of jar. Make sure to get rid of air bubbles. Wipe rim of jar clean before adding lid and ring. Put in water bath for 10 minutes.

This is the first time I have ever used this recipe so I’m anxious to see how it turns out. I got this recipe from 2 different places and just combined them. Both recipes were from the  Complete Book of Home Preserving by Ball.

Anyone else have any good recipes for canning peppers? Would love to hear them.

, , , , , ,

1. #1 by Patti G on August 20, 2012 - 9:34 am

Always have rubber gloves on when cutting up any type of peppers or chili!
    I found a new recipe myself. It is same as usual only adding
    3-4 basil leaves
    pinch of Italian Season
    to each jar. I’m going for it, wish me luck

• #2 by the mommy files on August 20, 2012 - 12:17 pm

Oohhhhh that sounds really good. What kind of peppers are you canning? You will have to share how that turns out. I would never have thought of adding basil to my peppers. Good luck!!!

I did have rubber gloves on while cutting up the peppers but my hands still tingled and stung afterward. Some of the juice must have got inside the gloves(such a weird feeling). But it probably would have been worse if I didn’t have them on.

2. #3 by Kelly Risley Jackson on August 21, 2012 - 8:52 am

We have canned rings and also whole peppers. Made some into relish…but need some other ideas…SO MANY banana peppers!

• #4 by the mommy files on August 21, 2012 - 10:25 am

It seems the banana peppers are never ending. I haven’t made salsa yet. That is next on my list.

3. #5 by Growing Up in the Garden on August 21, 2012 - 11:19 pm

Those look beautiful! How many peppers did you start with? Or, how much did they weigh?

• #6 by the mommy files on August 22, 2012 - 9:55 am

Oh my gosh I have no idea. LOL I jammed 8 pint jars full of the rings and still had probably enough left over to do 2 more pints. But I just put those in baggies in the fridge. I am terrible with measurements. A little bit of this and a pinch of that. The liquid mixture was the perfect amount for the peppers I did can. I probably had about 12 to 14 cups of pepper rings.

4. #7 by Barb on July 7, 2013 - 4:30 pm

after making a red sauce with sausage, add some canned peppers & some cream. pour over hot pasta. had this at a high end restaurant. really good

5. #8 by Pat Thomas on August 6, 2013 - 12:02 am

I have done peppers before and they seem to always be soft and not crunchy, a friend of mine told me to put an aspirin in each jar, I did and they did come out more crunchy.

6. #9 by Karen Tribbett on September 10, 2013 - 5:34 pm

I too am an avid banana wax pepper canner! I also love to cut them in colorful rings after they turn orange, red, and yellow. I freeze them overnight on a cookie sheet and next morning pack them tightly in quart freezer bags. ALL WINTER I can grab a handful and throw into whatever I’m making and have the taste of summer back………………I just love those prolific little boogers 🙂

7. #10 by joan on January 25, 2015 - 11:16 pm

While storing on shelf do you remove your rings? Once open…do you store the jar in the fridge?

• #11 by the mommy files on June 22, 2015 - 8:20 pm

I don’t remove the rings when storing on the shelf. But I know some people do. And yes, once I open them I keep them in the fridge.

8. #12 by stringtownhome on April 23, 2015 - 10:41 am

These look great! I found your post on Pinterest, and am adding a link to it in a canning recipe roundup that I’m doing on my blog today… I hope you can stop by and see it?

1. The First Six Months « Growing Up in the Garden